Jamie Norrish's non-Artefact Publishing web pages
- A collation of Boethius's
De Institutione Musica
- My Honours (first year post-graduate) research project, being a
partial collation of Book I, using the manuscript held at the
Alexander Turnbull Library (#130 in C. Bower's listing), the text of
the Trinity College manuscript (#17), and the text and apparatus
criticus of Friedlein's edition of the text. Gzipped PostScript
file, ~275kb. Dates to November 1995.
- Melting blades, perilous
- An examination of the twin motifs of the title in The
Lord of the Rings and Beowulf. Contains
irritating geekery. The LaTeX
source files are available, as are PDF and PostScript versions.
Due to the number of Hârn documents I have written, they are
listed on a sub-index.
- Magic as metaphor
- An alternative magic system which largely dispenses with set
spells and instead bases magic off the personal experiences of
individual Nephilim. Also available as a PostScript file, ~87kb, and the
- The Legacy Saga
- An Ars Magica (4th edition) game set on Hârn.
- Lands Lie Dreaming
- A Theatrix Chronicle based roughly on Changeling : the Dreaming.
This site contains player background information and additions and
modifications to the Theatrix Core Rules.
- A Theatrix Chronicle of dashing fantasy. Heavily under
development; mostly only a few bits of setting information.
- The Play's the Thing
- A game in which the characters put on a play.
All of these documents are ancient by web standards, having been
written in 1994 or thereabouts. I'm not happy with them, but some
people seem to find them of vague interest, so here they are.
- Building guide
- Provides some pointers towards writing good descriptions, with
the focus on rooms.
- An article outlining some of the problems of "adventuring" on
MUDs, and one partial solution.
- Perception in MUDs
- A brief look at ways of presenting sensory information, and the
advantages and problems in breaking descriptions down into component
- Encouraging Role-playing
- A discussion of the means by which a MUD may encourage and
enhance role-playing among the players.
- See a Lone Gull
- This is my university, or at least part of it.
- A History of Jamie Norrish's Web
- Gives a bit of the history and context of the different pages I
have written and maintained. Last updated: 28 May 1998